Summer is finally in full swing, so when thinking about vacation getaways, consider a water park to cool you off.
When you visit one of the top water parks in the U.S., you'll not only get to enjoy all of the attractions and rides the park has to offer but also a great experience. Instead of looking for a tropical getaway along one of the coasts or in Hawaii, why not try throwing in a little adventure?
Top water parks in the US
- Typhoon Lagoon sees more than 2 million visitors a year. The park is located at Walt Disney World in Orlando, Florida, and has water slides, beaches, a lazy river and even the opportunity to snorkel with sharks, stingrays and tropical fish in its coral reef.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark in New Braunfels, Texas, has been a favorite among Americans for years. There's something for everyone including the Black Knight, Blastenhoff Beach, Butterfly Bayou, Cliffhanger Tube Chute and the Congo River Expedition.
- Water Country USA in Williamsburg, Virginia, features Surfers Bay Wave Pool with 4-foot waves that start a rippling wave of action every 10 minutes.
- In the Midwest, there's Holiday World & Splashin' Safari in Santa Claus, Indiana. You can enjoy the Bahari Wave Pool that's perfect for families. The park has 18 water slides, rides and attractions. If you're itching for the thrill of an amusement park, Holiday World has four coasters for you to enjoy.
- Hyland Hills Water World in Denver, Colorado, is one of the most visited parks in the country. Check out Cimarron River, Caribbean Family Adventure, Double Dare and the Funhouse Express Gondola.
- For thrilling water slides, try Six Flags Hurricane Harbor in Arlington, Texas. This park features the tornado, a ride that sends you through a slide and down into a toilet bowl-shaped cylinder before dropping you into a pool.
- Those that prefer to stay indoors will want to check out Avalanche Bay Indoor Waterpark in Boyne Falls, Michigan. The theme is similar to that of a snowy Swiss-Austrian village and includes a giant indoor playground complete with a guest-drenching bucket of water at the top.
- Silver Dollar City White Water Park in Branson, Missouri, offers guests a heart-pumping experience on the KaPau Plummet. Guests are dropped two at a time down the 245-foot slides through a trap door. If thrills aren't your thing, try the wave pool or the Aloha River.
- If you're in the mood for family-friendly fun, head to Wild Island Family Adventure Park in Sparks, Nevada. Children can have fun at the Little Lagoon or enjoy one of the three mini slides.
- Boomerang Bay at Carowinds in Charlotte, North Carolina, has two body slides, two inner-tube slides, Kangaroo Lagoon, Whallaby Wharf, Kookaburra Bay, Sydney Sidewinder and Platypus Plunge.