With the arrival of summer comes time for a family vacation and time away from the office. To hit the road in style, consider some of these fun ideas that can give your trip a little added luxury:
- Since it’s not likely you’ll be stopping frequently to take showers and bathe, bring along some facial spray to keep you feeling fresh. A wet mist will also help to wake you up and stay alert, especially if you’re driving at night on a desolate road.
- A key component of any road trip is a cooler. In it you can pack snacks and anything you pick up along the way. It’ll also save you from needing to stop and grab a bite to eat when you really just want to arrive at your final destination.
- You’re probably going to have the air conditioner on full blast while you’re driving, so bring along a wrap or blanket to keep you warm.
- Sunscreen is necessary anytime you’ll be in the sun, even in the car when it’s shining through the windows. If you’re driving, you have a greater chance of getting a sunburn on the left side of your body since its gets more exposure to ultraviolet rays.
- If you have a tablet, be sure to bring along a mount so you can turn to some entertainment when looking out the windows just doesn’t cut it anymore. You can watch movies, play video games or just browse the Internet during the ride.
- Sunglasses are essential for drivers and passengers to protect you from the sun’s rays and offer some sense of privacy. It’s best to choose some that are close-fitting and have large lenses in order to block out close to 100 percent of UVA and UVB rays.
- A digital map will keep you from getting lost and give you the most up-to-date information on road closures and alternate routes.
- Most people enjoy a little alone time while in the car so bring along headphones to help drown out the sound of other passengers during the ride.
- If you’ll be riding with a bunch of other individuals, including the kids, pack some games that are designed for travel. You can purchasing things like “Book of Questions,” mini board games or travel bingo to make the ride go faster.
- A media streamer allows you to stream an Internet connection to make watching movies on your tablet easier.
Top road trip destinations
Know you want to take a road trip but don’t know where you want to go? When you start planning your trip, consider some of this top destinations:
- The Pacific Coast Highway in California will lead you along the state’s rocky coast and winding roads. There are views here you won’t find anywhere else and that are sure to take your breath away. Be sure to stop in towns like Monterey and Santa Cruz where you can find delectable restaurants and accommodations to make the trip even more relaxing.
- In Montana and southern Canada is the Going-to-the-Sun Road in Glacier National Park. The road runs for 50 miles in the northwest portion of the state and sends you right through the middle of the park. You’ll see mountain peaks, deep ravines, sheep and mountain goats along the way.
- In the eastern part of the country, in Virginia and North Carolina, is Blue Ridge Parkway. The road winds its way through the Appalachian Mountains and towns such as Roanoke, Virginia, and the Biltmore Estate in Asheville, North Carolina.
- Head to Brandywine Valley for a 12-mile stretch of road from Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, to Wilmington, Delaware. There’s scenic countryside to see and the region was once home to America’s wealthiest families of the 20th century.